The Car in Quarantine: 10 Tips to Avoid Problems After Many Days Stopped
Some simple practices are necessary to avoid inconvenience when starting it again after a long time in the garage.
The cars, then, will also have a mandatory quarantine that demands to take some simple but necessary precautions so as not to have problems when starting it again, and not suffer inconveniences over time.
Here are the main tips:
1. Battery. It is recommended to unplug the battery completely to ensure that no electrical consumption occurs while the vehicle is stationary. This piece is the one that suffers the most with a lot of downtimes. Disconnecting the terminals is enough so that it does not discharge.
2. Fuel. The fuel tank should never be left empty because the tank is at risk of deterioration. Ideally, the vehicle should have at least half a tank of fuel. Also, the fuller it is, the lighter the evaporation effect.
3. Other liquids. Check that all levels are in their correct measure, to check them with the same parameter before the vehicle is started again. If the oil level is below normal, it is recommended to top it up. The same with the radiator antifreeze. And if the days that are planned without activity are too many, it is also advisable to empty the container, to prevent that liquid from rotting in the circuit.
4. Tires. It is advisable to inflate them above the recommended pressure since if they lose air during the time they are stopped they will not deform due to the weight of the vehicle. The deformation of a tire by remaining under low pressure for a long time in the same position is detrimental to its original efficiency. The ideal, after a few days, is to move the car a few centimetres from the original position if there is space available, to change the support points.
5. Brakes. It is best not to use it unless the vehicle is parked on a hill. Actuating the handbrake tightens a cable that brakes the rear wheels, and if it is applied for a long time it can cause problems when you deactivate it.
6. Windows. If the car is sheltered in a garage or a safe, covered place, leave the windows slightly open. This helps prevent the rubber weatherstripping from drying out and sticking to the glass on top. In addition, it is key to avoid subsequent unpleasant odours or humidity, which are always difficult to eliminate.
7. Interior. A homemade trick: leave a bowl of raw rice in the cabin. This helps to avoid humidity and odours generated by the running of the bulls.
8. Exhaust pipe. The outlet usually rusts, so it is best to put a cloth covered in motor oil there.
9. Car body. To avoid corrosion and protect it to the maximum, it is best to protect it with a cover, but be careful: it is essential that it is completely clean before covering it so that the paint is not scratched.
10. Start it up. Ideally, no more than 10 days go by without starting it. Although it cannot be driven, it is advisable to start it and leave it idling for a few minutes to prevent deposits from forming in the fuel, coolant, and oil circuits.
As for insurance, all companies insist that it is essential not to cancel the different types of car insurance, even when the car is not used. The civil responsibility and of the damages that are caused by the vehicle run even if the car is inside a garage.
If it is a hybrid vehicle and was previously in good condition, a month stopped should not be a problem. But starting the hybrid car system for 30 minutes every four weeks is good advice, turning off all lights and electrical accessories, such as HVAC or sound equipment. In about half an hour, the batteries will be charged.