Accidents do not select anyone. This means that every person is at risk of getting involved in a crash. Despite the safety precautions you practice, you are still not spared from an accident. There is still an eventuality it might happen to you. When an accident occurs, you are not saved, even if you have the money and the status. Your high-performance car can still be damaged when it gets caught in a sideswiped vehicle accident.
When you find yourself involved in this kind of accident, you must consider a few things legally. Determining who is at fault is essential as there are expensive vehicles involved in the crash. Both parties must provide evidence to prove who will be responsible for the fees and damages caused in the sideswipe accident.
Causes of Sideswipe Accidents
According to luxury car manufacturers such as Lexus and Mercedes Benz, their fault claims for accidents reached up to 111 complaints for every 1,000 drivers for the former, and 78.6 claims for every 1,000 drivers for the latter. These numbers show that luxury car owners are getting involved in accidents consistently.
One might wonder why high performance cars get involved in an accident. Some of the most common causes are:
- Overspeeding. Of course, as an owner of a high-performance vehicle, you want to test it out. However, some cars are meant to be on the racetracks rather than on the public highways. Drivers of luxury cars who want to test the speed of their vehicles often get into accidents because they do not follow the speed limit.
- Distracted driving. Whether you drive a luxurious sports car or you drive a beat up old truck, you are at fault when you get involved in a sideswipe accident because of distracted driving. Using your mobile device or listening to loud music while you drive puts you at risk of getting involved in a crash.
- Drunk driving. Driving after you consumed alcohol makes it difficult to drive. It is even more difficult if you are drunk driving. You will have a hard time reacting fast to other cars. You will also have difficulty in focusing on the road. It is challenging to drive a regular car while intoxicated. Driving drunk in a fast car makes it impossible.
Legal Considerations When Involved in an Accident
Regardless of who is at fault, both parties must consider these legal aspects when involved in a sideswipe accident:
- Document the damages. Documentation is essential because it will serve as proof when you need to file a claim against the other party.
- Your car. Take pictures of your vehicle. Concentrate on the areas where it was damaged, scratched, or wrecked.
- The other party’s car. You can also take pictures of the other party’s vehicle. Again, you must also concentrate on the parts where there are damages.
- The entire scene. Also, you must take a photograph of the whole scene of the accident. You may also shoot a video to document the car crash further.
- Make some calls. You need to inform different parties if you get involved in a sideswipe accident. Failure to notify these people may affect your condition, your claims, and your case.
- Emergency hotline. Seek medical attention if you have any injuries. Even if you sustained a small scratch, you should still call a doctor to receive immediate medical care.
- Police. Contact the police for help. They will investigate the scene to help gather evidence and proof as to why the accident occurred.
- Insurance company. You must notify your insurance company as well. Inform them that you were involved in an accident. However, avoid giving them all the details, as it might affect your claim.
- Lawyer. You must also inform your lawyer that you were involved in a sideswipe crash. Provide your attorney with the details of the accident. Do not leave anything out so your lawyer can advise you properly on how to handle the case while you are still at the crash site.
- Exchange information with the other party. Provide the other party with your driver’s license, plate number, vehicle registration and contact details. You should ask for their information as well. This exchange is helpful whenever one of the parties need to reach the other to discuss the matters of the case.
Defining who is at fault is essential for this type of case as there is a lot of money involved. High-performance cars are not cheap. If you do not have the means to pay for damages, you might find yourself in a difficult situation.
If you are the owner of the luxury vehicle and you were at fault, the other party may file damages against you. However, if it is the other vehicle’s fault, you may file a claim against them. If they do not have the means to pay you back for damages, you may file a case against them in court, or you may just let your insurance company cover the damages.
Most people think that sideswipe accidents are only minor and often result in minimal vehicle damages and no physical injuries. On the contrary, this type of accident causes as much damage and injury as a car crash. The hassle of having your car repaired and paying for damages is still time-consuming for both parties involved in this type of accident. It may also lead to property damage and even the loss of lives.
Getting caught in a sideswipe accident can lead to legal consequences. If you want to go into your legal options, you may click here.
Vicki is a law writing enthusiast who’s had over 25 years of experience in her field. She enjoys sharing her experiences with those who want to learn more about the legal world. In her spare time she spends quality time with her family and friends.