BMW Unveils 400 HP Quad Turbo M550d xDrive
BMW has added another M Performance model to it’s -Series lineup to join the petrol-powered M550i xDrive with the M550d xDrive.
It is available in both sedan and touring body styles and as standard it comes with rear-biased all-wheel drive. Now that the engineers have added another turbo to the 3.0-litre straight six, it becomes the most powerful six cylinder diesel unit in the world (in production car). So to summarize the new Diesel offering from the German manufacturer…
- New powerplant has an output of 294 kW (395hp) and 760Nm of torque
- M Performance tuned 8-speed transmission with xDrive
- 0 to 100km/h takes 4.4 seconds in Sedan form (4.6 in Touring)
- Both electronically limited to 250km/h
- BMW quoting an average fuel consumption of 5.9 l/100 km
- M Sport suspension lowers the body by 10mm
- Adaptive M Suspension Professional featuring Dynamic Damper Control offered as an option
- Features M styling treatment
On a side note, this M550d is just fractionally slower than the outgoing M5 and 0.3 seconds quicker to 100km/h than the older M550d.
Since the xDrive derivatives of the 5-series are not made for RHD, it is rather unlikely that we will see this in South Africa.