Mercedes-Benz Unveil X-Class Concepts Previewing Their ‘Bakkie’
I am sure all of you have seen images of the two pickup concepts from Mercedes-Benz previewing their X-Class but let’s breakdown the long press release. One was called the stylish Explorer offering a premium and sporty experience while the Powerful Adventurer is the rugged hardcore off-roader.
The Explorer is probably the most accurate example of what the production double-cab X-Class will look like. It features a plush interior, sporty bumpers and a set of big, 22-inch alloy wheels. “With the X-Class, we will close one of the last gaps in our portfolio,” said Mercedes-Benz boss Dieter Zetsche. “Our target is to offer customers vehicles matching their specific needs. The pick-up will set new standards in a growing segment.”
- Entry-level models will be offered with RWD as standard
- AWD system offered as option
- Engine range will include four-pot petrol and diesel units
- A V6 diesel engine is expected to be the range topping unit
- AWD V6-equipped X-Class can carry more than 1.1 ton
- Towing capacity of up to 3.5 tons
- AWD-quipped models will also come with low-range gearing, locking diffs and an advanced traction control to aid in the most extreme of off-road situations
- Body-on-frame steel chassis shared with the Nissan Navara and Renault Alaskan
Mercedes says that they will launch the new X-Class pickup truck in Europe in late 2017. Production for the European, Australian and South African markets will take place at the Nissan plant in Barcelona, Spain while the Latin American models will be built at the Renault plant in Cordoba, Argentina in 2018. That truck bed will need some good looking tonneau covers to match the stylish look of this pickup.