VW Golf TCR Loses 333kg And Looks Absolutely Epic
VW has just released their Golf GTI TCR to compete in the touring car championship this year. As you would expect it starts out life as a regular GTI before being stripped down and then given an uprated engine and a race-spec chassis. It was developed in conjunction with Seat as they passed on their knowledge from their Leon Cup Racer.
- Turbocharged four-cylinder from Golf R produces 325 horsepower (9hp more)
- Proper race-spec six-speed sequential gearbox
- Drive is sent to the front wheels
- Racing car weighs 1280kg with its driver (Stock form car weighs 1533 kg)
- 0 to 100 km/h achieved in 5.2 seconds
- Sits on height, track and camber adjustable suspension and 18in racing wheels
- Chassis is about 40mm wider than the production car
- Aggressive aerodynamic package also mean the racer generates downforce at both ends
Just 20 of these track cars will be built by VW Motorsport and all have already been purchased by private racing teams. Their first race will be this month at a support race for the Bahrain Grand Prix.