2017 Honda Civic Type R Is Official With 316 HP
The current Type R was considered as rather extreme by some people and in an effort to attract a wider audience, the new one seen below has been toned down slightly. So what can we tell you about the new hot hatch?
- It will attempt the Nürburgring Nordschleife front-wheel-drive lap record this spring
- Features a revised version of the turbocharged 2.0-litre VTEC petrol engine
- Flow rate of the exhaust gases has been increased and the ECU’s mapping has been updated
- Power output is up by 10 horses to 316 horsepower
- 0 to 100km/h sprint time of 5.7 seconds
- Retains the six-speed manual gearbox of the current car
- Introduces a new rev-match system which promises to give smoother gearshifts
- Aerodynamics are also improved thanks to a smoother underbody, a front air curtain, a lightweight rear wing and vortex generators along the roofline
- Three driving modes; Comfort, default Sport and, for the track, R
What do you all think about the cosmetics of the thing? I am not sold on the three pipes at the back as that just reminds me of the Ferrari 458 and this is certainly no 458. Really keen to drive one so let’s hope Honda South Africa swing one my way when they arrive.